Thursday, July 11, 2013

Mt Buller weekend

Saturday 100km ~ 45km climbing

My wife went up the road to the Mt Buller ski resort earlier in the morning for work and I got the call the road was mostly clear other than slushy in the last kilometres to the village. So I decided to ride Mt Buller regardless the horrid weather forecast and the fronts sweeping through.


At the entrance I was waved to the counter and was told I could continue as long as I could answer a question - how do the riders in the tdf go for a toilet stop? She was planning on phoning Simon's Gerran's mum to ask! 


I made it to 8 1/2 km up where chains had to be fitted - asked the worker if I was allowed to continue. His answer that I can't stop and fit chains anyway... So onwards into to the slush and rain now falling as snow. If I was only riding uphill and didn't have to descend I would have gone on. As I had to come down I decided finally to pull the pin and turn around at Andrew's carpark. 



Very tentative descent back to the entrance. Any sane person would have returned to his accommodation and soak in the spa tub, obviously I am not sane...

The only others not in a car. Dropped in for a cup of tea on the descent.




Wasn't able to ride a threepeat in the end as I couldn't get to the village, so instead ended with four slightly shorter repeats; the last three laps turning around a little lower at Box Corner ~11km up the hill. To here was only a couple of kilometers of slush and snow to ride through.



Sunday 82km

Learn't the hard way that it really depends on the day and who is working at the entrance if you are allowed on the Mountain. Sunday cars weren't having to fit chains, weather was looking a little better so was keen on another couple of laps but I was stopped! Reason given is that once the toll opens, VicRoads hand control of the road to the resort and although not mentioned anywhere that bikes are banned we are a hazard with numerous buses and inexperienced drivers making their way up the mountain.


So instead of being passed by cars going under 60km/hr, I turned around and rode to Mansfield return plus a side out and back up towards Tolmie on 100 km/hr roads...


Heading towards Mansfield





Support for Mansfield born and bred Simon Gerran's


No comments:

Post a Comment