Sunday, November 1, 2015

Mawson trail - Day Six - Wirrabara forest to Warren Gorge 8th May 2015

Light drizzle and rain fell through the night and drizzle was still falling when I woke at 6:30am. Ate my usual porridge and then carefully packed trying to keep as much dry; tent was sodden but managed to get it all packed and rolling before 8am.


I made really good time to Melrose and the drizzle eased as I approached town.

 


Coffee and slice of quinoa date slice at the bike shop. Whilst there also bought more lube as I needed most of what I'd packed due to yesterdays mud.

Over the next 30km to Wilmington I continued to make good time along the northern stretches. Unfortunately I still had to grind into the wind every time the track headed west! Also slowed by an older cyclist who was riding some of the sections south whilst his wife drove; I was the first cyclist he had seen so was up for a very long chat!


I arrived in Wilmington at noon. With no cafe in town, lunch consisted of a quick chocolate milk and mars bar from the petrol station before shortly remounting and continuing on! There was still 40km before me to Quorn and then another 25km to Warren gorge to ride before dark.


Before arriving in Quorn around 3pm, I had to first ride over Richman gap via a soft and steep track.


Had my first really good coffee in almost a week at the Quorn Cafe plus scrambled eggs on toast then headed into the local IGA to restock my supplies.

Not sure where the time went, but when I checked my watch it was already 4:20pm! I hammered as fast as I could as the sun started to cast long shadows over the road. 


There was still one last obstacle before making Warren gorge. I had to climb over Yarra Vale gorge and only made the campsite right on dusk.


 

I'm now finally in the Flinders ranges and on schedule! Thankfully for the remaining days on the trail I will be riding under 100km each, as my knees have been sore from the longs days in the saddle.

Set up camp as far away from others as possible, though discovered all too well that sound travels. As one ground of bogan 4WDers decided to have party talking loudly and the stereo blasting a short selection of rubbish Hits FM dance tracks on repeat through the night!


Ride distance 122.74km


Elevation gain 996m


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyable read, and nice pics to go along with it. Thanks for posting. Enjoy your bicycle adventures, friend

    ReplyDelete