Monday, October 14, 2013

Mt Lemmon 17th September

The day prior was a relaxing and relatively short transit day from Safford to Tuscon. So after another soak in the hot tub and swim in the lake I drove the 200km into Tucson. Here I was able to drop into Fair Wheel Bikes; unfortunately most of the special builds were absent as they were already on their way to Interbike. After also visiting friends of my neighbours, I headed to the air-conditioned relief of my hotel where I spent the rest of the day.


Mt Lemmon stands over the sprawling city of Tuscon and the climb to its top would be another long one. The regular timed section is 34km @ 4.9%, but the true top is past the ski slopes and small village of Summerhaven. This results in a 52.2km climb when beginning from the East Tanque Verde road; though this does include some descending before the final steeper pitch.


I underestimated the size of the city of Tucson, so was only at the car parking at the corner of East Tanque Verde road and the start of the East Catalina hwy and ready to ride by 8:21am. The desert air was already warm, fortunately I would be soon climbing high above the city and into the cooler air the altitude would bring.

This stretch prior to mile marker zero still involved climbing, just at a mellow gradient which offered a pleasant warm up for the climbing to come. After 6km, I was now at mile marker zero and on the climb proper. 



This climb would be like Russian Dolls, only in reverse. The road ascended up and around the first hill only to be confronted by a bigger hill behind and this would be repeated much of the way to the crest of the climb. The first section wound its way up the mountain side and through stands of Saguaro cacti.




Once past the first section the Saguaro thinned and the flora changed as did the geology. The road continued to weave through the 3D maze of the mountains that make up the Mt Lemmon massif. Soon enough I was amongst the granite spires and cliffs at Windy point and then into the forests that cover the upper reaches.






After reaching the top of the main climb I pushed on as I wanted to post a time for the full ascent. Unfortunately forest workers were felling trees close to the road and all traffic was forced to stop.





Once restarted my legs were cold so was happy just to roll the last kilometers to the gate past the ski field that guarded the last short stretch of private road to the Mt Lemmon Sky Center.




After a few photos I rolled down into the aptly named Summerhaven and enjoyed a coke and icecream before making my way back off the mountain. 



It was hot back at the van, sensibly I'd parked it under one of the few larger trees in the car park so it was at least bearable. Another visit into the Safeway for a couple of tubs of pasta salad from the deli and other supplies for the long drive back west; and a long drive it was! First on the I10 and then onto the I8 towards San Diego. I stopped for gas at Gila Bend and had to step into the furnace; why people would live here out in the desert I really don't know?

I passed through Brawley on dusk and into dust storms as I drove through the Anza Barrego Desert State Park towards Palomar Mountain. I had planned to stop at a campsite on the mountain, but the days riding plus over 600km driving had me exhausted and looking for a spot to park for the night.

I found a spot off the road just before Lake Henshaw which I thought was well hidden from the passing cars. Around 12:30am I was proven wrong with a knock on the window and torch shining through the glass. The police weren't impressed I'd bedded down for the night just off the road; once again the Aussie accent and friendly discussion about my road trip had them letting me stay where I was and get back to sleep. 

Ride details: distance 111.48km Maximum elevation 2764m



3041m elevation




 

No comments:

Post a Comment