This ride would take me up Palomar South Grade; an extremely popular SoCal climb often referred locally as being
similar to Alpe d'Huez. Perhaps it is counting the number of hairpins, but as
it is a far more consistent gradient than Alpe d'Huez I found it far easier to hold tempo. This is unlike Alpe d'Huez which tenderizes you with a couple of kilometres of double digit gradient right at the start and fluctuates for the rest. Regardless, it sounded like a great climb which is why it made the trip schedule.
First I had to still get to the start. So on waking I drove the last kilometres to Harrah's Rincon Casino car park where I'd mount my bike;
only stopping at a roadside pullout on the descent to enjoy breakfast and a coffee
overlooking the fog that was still blanketing the valley below.
Down low on SR76
I parked behind the 7-11 next door to the casino and was soon riding the short stretch back up towards the junction with SR76 and the start of the timed section. It was already warm, but not unbearably so.
SR76
Palomar Mountain South Grade is a climb in two parts. The busier and straighter SR76 (9.37km @6%) to begin with and and then twisty S6 (11.04km @7%) split by a short flat section.
I found both sections quite pleasant, but was happy when I hit the left turn and was onto Palomar Mountain road and almost no more passing vehicles.
Once at the stop sign where the timed section finishes, I continued the short section further up to Palomar County Park on Crestline road. The small shaded park was a perfect detour off the main road as it had toilets and water.
Back down onto East Grade road I turned left and descended all the way down to Henshaw Lake.
Here I turned around and enjoyed the mellow East Grade climb (17.1km @ 4.6%) back to to the junction with South Grade road.
View SW near the top of East Grade
With still some energy in my legs and time in hand, I cruised the additional short section out to the Palomar Observatory. After a brief stop here I retraced my way back to the top of South Grade and enjoyed the very twisty descent back to the van.
Once restocked with supplies from the 7 -11, it was onto the road and the drive north to LA where I was to spend my last night in the States. I was driving to near the base of Mt Baldy where a bikeforums.net member lives and kindly offered me a place to stay when I posted questions about my trip there!
Journey north went most fine, other than I must have accidently touched the screen of the Sat Nav which reset my destination past where I wanted to go...
Ride details 98.01km 1727m max elevation
2659m elevation gain


No comments:
Post a Comment