Saturday, October 17, 2015

Mawson trail - Day One - Adelaide to Tanunda 3rd May 2015

I woke early and headed back up the road to the nearest cafe for a cooked breakfast, before packing up and heading out on the Torrens river path. By the time I got on my way it was already after 9am,  far later than I'd wanted

Fortunately the Torrens river path runs both sides of the river as shortly after I started riding I had the field of a half marathon heading towards me! A quick switch to the other side got me away from the chaos and allowed me a cruisy ride out of the city. I'd underestimated how far out it was to the start of the Mawson trail proper and rode close to 15km of sealed path till I found myself finally riding up the scenic Gorge road into the Adelaide hills.



A descending mountain biker stopped for a chat and quiz me on my set up and where I was headed. When I mentioned the Mawson he warned me about the hike a bike (HAB) ahead. I had already read much about it so knew I would need to walk at some point today. It was another 5km or so when the first of many Mawson trail markers was sighted and signed me off the main road and first section of many kilometers of dirt to come.

First dirt of the Mawson 


Soon enough things got steep and first of two HAB's were required.


Didn't take long to gain elevation. Looking back towards Adelaide.


The Adelaide hills are very beautiful and offered lovely sights at every turn.


After Lobethal, I misread one Mawson trail signpost and only discovered my mistake after a flowing 5km downhill! So had to climb back uphill before continuing on to Birdwood. Here I raided the pie warmer for a late lunch, then continued onward along dirt roads, through pine plantations and vineyards.

 
 
 

 


It was just prior to the big descent down towards Tanunda when I veered a short way off the trail for a stealth camp. I had originally planned to camp in Tanunda, but with the late start, extra distance to the start of the Mawson trail and wrong turn I had run out of light. 

With the sun dropping below the horizon, I heated up my dinner of rice and tuna followed by a hedgehog slice I bought at lunch in Birdwood.

Ride details 97.32km

elevation gain 1666m

No comments:

Post a Comment