Sunday, October 18, 2015

Mawson trail - Day Two - Tanunda to Riverton 4th May 2015

After a quick coffee, I packed camp and rode the last kilometers to Tanunda. It was a wise move to stop where I did last night, as it took longer to get into town than I had sunlight yesterday.

 

 Ordered a cooked breakfast and drunk another coffee before continuing north through Nuriootpa to Kapunda into a strengthening Northerly!

Garden ornament on the trail North of Nurioopta



Would be tough riding if the tracks were wet.



Escaped the gusty and warming Northerly for a moment and had a sub par pastie, caramel slice and coffee in a cafe in Kapunda.

Back on the trail, the wind was making it hard to make forward progress.


The Mawson trail wove along some amazing small tracks, some barely tracks and seemed to find every hill in the area!


My schedule had me camping in Auburn. But with the wind and potential rain forecast I decided I would stop in Riverton and splurge on a cabin in the caravan park.


It was starting to get late and I still hadn't got to Riverton, the headwind was making it a real struggle!


Unfortunately all the cabins were booked out by a road crew by the time I arrived in town, so I pitched the tent and showered before walking to the local takeaway for a healthy dinner of fish and chips. After dinner I sat in the laundry to escape the mosquitoes and read whilst my clothes went through the dryer.

The clouds looked threatening but only let a few big drops fall. The forecast was for more wind and some rain which would make tomorrows long day even more challenging!

Ride details 91.87km


 Elevation gain 1146m




No comments:

Post a Comment