I was in two minds – whether to try and post a time up Alpe d’Huez or ride a different col? Annoyingly when I rode up Alpe d’Huez last Saturday afternoon I stopped at the first timing point. And even when I continued on to the tour timing point I missed it completely! As today was my fourth day on, I wasn’t sure if it was even in me?
I did choose to ride the rematch, but this time putting the odds more in my favour by riding earlier in the morning before in full sun and actually trying to warm up first rather than just ride the kilometre from where I was staying. For this I rode out the 5km towards Briancon before the road kicks up hill and then returned back to the start. Here if not 100% could still pull the pin if I wasn’t firing on all cylinders and go to plan b. This was where I would slink away to an obscure col away from the all too obvious gaze of all the other cyclists, motorcyclists and motorists sharing this same stretch of tarmac.
Surprisingly I was able to moderate my effort through the steeper first couple of km and was actually feeling okay! I just kept focussing on my output, trying not to push too hard or lose momentum. This time I freely went between the 29 and 23-26 on the corners and focus on also keeping my cadence up. There were a few times amongst the last hairpins when I lost a little focus but was quick to notice and kept pushing.
4th last corner - photo from photobreton.com
Finally I was amongst the buildings of the Alpe d’Huez village and all I had to do was swing around left under the short underpass for the 1 ½ kilometres to the finish. But instead of increasing the tempo along this false flat section to take the left hander, there is a barrier half over the road with a road closed sign! I was about to discover that a street market was being held right where I needed to ride… Due to all the people I was forced to roll through at walking pace! Many pardons were called out as I tried to weave around the pedestrians, with them blissfully unaware the stress they were causing and the valuable seconds they were costing me!
As soon as I’m through I cut off a car trying to also access the tunnel from my right, but by the way I came out of the crowds they would have been aware of my agenda. So too when I hit the flat section just before the final sharp left hander a car sees me coming and actually pulled over! I made the turn missing the strategically placed plant pot and still in the big ring suffered to the line (or should I say pole, there is no line).
Stop the watch and it’s under the hour – 58:40 in fact! I was very happy with the result, even though I spent the next ten minutes trying not to throw up from the exertion. Once I recomposed myself, I rolled down through the market and back down the hairpins of the Alpe for the last time on this trip.
A quick bite to eat back at my accommodation and there was still time to get in one last col. The pass selected sounded on paper as ideal to finish the week being often recommended for the start of the season due to its mild gradient over its 12km length… Well the Col d’Ornon wasn’t a push over for me. Now in the sun for much it’s lower half, and in the last kilometres to the pass though not steep was into a strong head wind. At only 2.5% in the last kilometre, I was in my 29 barely going 10km/hr!
Col d'Ornon looking south
Saying that the return with this headwind made for a very fast ride, and soon enough I was back in Bourg d’Oisans.
Northern descent col d'Ornon - up towards the top
Northern descent col d'Ornon -lower slopes
Then it was a matter of pulling apart and pack my bike, my gear and clean the apartment in preparation for the next destination - Bourg St Maurice.
Ride details:
Distance 67.76km
2329m elevation


Hey Martin, Woohoo! A sub-one hour Alp d'Huez even whilst dodging the crowds of drunken, flag-waving onlookers and screaming fans (I mean, market goers) :-) Nice one! Cheers, Alan
ReplyDelete