The Col du Sabot didn’t show on my radar during initial planning for my trip. But it was suggested to me when asking questions online about rides in the French Alps and I am glad I took their advice.
View up to the Col du Sabot
The col du Sabot in conjunction with the Col du Glandon was once the route for traders across the mountains to La Marienne and was a reliable paved road since the middle ages! Fortunately the road which now stops at the col has been resurfaced since, though it is still rough in places. And combined with the cattle and sheep that roam freely and sunbake on the road a sensible speed on the descent is recommended.
Col du Glandon from Col du Sabot
The 14.5km climb starts just above Allemont and the pretty Lac du Verney and gets to business immediately, sitting around 10 % as it makes its way through the trees to the lovely village of Vaujany. Not much further along the road becomes a single lane and escapes from the trees into the open slopes. As per many routes in the area it involves numerous hairpins and switchbacks as it climbs. And as it is a dead end and not as well-known as the more famous roads in the area you will have it much to yourself as I did.
Looking back down the road from the Col du Sabot
As the col tops out at 2100m, even though exposed to the sun I didn’t find it too hot. When at the pass, the wind was funnelled through the narrow gap I actually started to get chilled! So I descended after a relatively short time at the top to catch my breath and enjoy the views.
Once I hit Lac du Verney, the second climb planned for the day was another quiet road. The main road to Alpe D’Huez is the most famous with its 21 hairpins straight above Bourg d’Oisans, but is actually one of three roads to the resort. The second way up I had already ascended on the Tuesday via the col de Sarenne. The third route I was taking this day was via switchbacks in the forested left flank that passes through Villard Reculas. This road then continued to join the main Alpe road just below the 6th last corner.
View back towards Lac du Verney and the Col du Sabot from the road to Villard Reculas
This also was a good choice for the warm weather that we were having, especially whilst lower down in the heavy tree cover. It also is a little longer than the regular route so was a more amenable gradient.
Rochetallee from the road to Villard Reculas
Only disappointment was that there was actually some descending before joining the main road at Huez. This time I was able to soak in some more of the atmosphere of this famous road up through the last hairpins and enjoyed it a little more. The descent was challenging as always but I am starting to feel more comfortable taking the bends. Another enjoyable day in the saddle!
Ride details:
Distance 81.82km
3189m elevation


No comments:
Post a Comment