Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Alpe D'Huez

Breakfast at the ETAP hotel is a reasonable affair; a self-serve buffet of cereals and breads to toast and okay coffee for only 4.90 Euro. After a few laps for food and coffee refills, it’s off to the airport bus outside the front door.
Train to Grenoble was by TGV to Lyon then regular train to Grenoble. The TGV is amazing, what long distance train travel should be. Super smooth and fast transport across the country! Few issues initially getting the bike stored and an old French woman in my seat of whom I understood nothing. But there was a spare seat so I was able settle in for the journey south… One more train and then the bus from Grenoble to Bourg d’Oisans which all went without a hitch.
Lower slopes looking towards Bourg D'Oisans

After walking to my accommodation and building up the bike. I walked the few hundred metres back into the centre of town to get some spares from the local bike shop and then back home via the local Supermarche for groceries. With that out of the way it was time to ride my first climb in France!
Although it was still hot, I had planned to ride up Alpe d’Huez on the first afternoon in Bourg D’Oisans. These imposing mountains are the reason I travelled half way around the world and I wanted to start immediately. But till I got onto the climb I didn’t realize just how hot it was!
The climb to Alpe D’Huez starts just out of town and kicks up immediately! The first three km are at a solid % and where it eases is still at a solid grade. I was adamant through this section not to use my lowest gear on the back, as this was meant to be my emergency only gear! Any confidence I had from all the training I had done back in Australia was gone by the 4km mark and I changed down to the 29 and stayed in this gear to the end.
Corner 7 looking up to Alpe D'Huez

With minimal shelter from the driving sun the heat was unbearable; the maximum registered on my bike computer was 39 degrees! I started to get a pounding headache and really struggled at times but just kept on going.  Although a sign when finally approaching the village suggested 2km to go, shortly after amongst the shops is sign and banner proclaiming the climb as finished. I asked a couple of cyclists if I could get my photo taken and whilst talking to them discovered that this is the timed finish and not the tour finish. So I continued on and am perturbed when I run out of road paintings. I asked a cycle mechanic outside a shop and discover I’ve passed the pole marking the tour finish. I rolled back down and got my photo taken by a family walking past, but given the quiet location is very much an anti-climax… 
The descent is challenging and my hands hurt from all the braking! The result is only 31km ridden for the day; which doesn’t look like much but it includes my first Hors Category climb! I have the Col de le Croix de Fer, Col du Telegraphe, and Col du Galibier loop planned for tomorrow. As it is forecast to be another hot one, I’m heading out as soon as it’s light.

Ride details:
Distance 30.95km
1267m elevation






No comments:

Post a Comment