If you watched stage 18 of the TDF this year, you will recognise these climbs. Only unlike the tour riders who ascended the Col Agnel from the Italian side before descending the hairpins and fast flowing roads to then ride over the Col d’Izoard, I rode from Briancon and climbed the Col Agnel from the French side before following the Tour route back into town.
The first 32km was mostly downhill on the main road that continues on to Gap, so carried a reasonable amount of traffic. With the strong headwind and a few climbs it wasn’t the easy warm up I was expecting.
The turnoff to Guillestre and the start of the days climbing was just after the imposing Mont Dauphin Fort. Once I made the turn to Guillestre, it wasn’t long before the road started heading up. What was meant to be a pleasant introduction with lower average gradients in these first kilometres of the climb became more challenging, when a detour due to road works sent us high up a steep and narrow lane up over the ridge to the right of the main road.
Looking up the gorge from the detour
Once back on the right road, it continued up in a narrow gorge (the Combe du Queyras) with a fast flowing river just off to the side and limestone outcrops above.
Combe du Queyras
With low gradient, great surface, amazing views and now a tail wind the turn off to the Col d”Izoard came soon enough.
Just after the turn off to the Col d'Izoard - Chateau Queyras
For now though, I was to continue straight on and up to the Col Agnel. At 2744m, it is amongst the highest paved roads in the Alps and is only 26m lower than the Col d’Iseran which is still claimed to be the highest. Like the Iseran, I didn’t find the climbing too bad even in the last steeper kilometres. I just paced myself and was distracted by the beautiful open valley the road followed in the higher reaches to the col.
Road to the Col Agnel - now within sight at the end of the valley
With the wind, it was too cold to hang around too long. Plus I still had to get over another tough climb before I made it back to Briancon. After the initial de rigueur hairpins, the road opened up and even into the headwind was fast.
In Italy
Looking back down the valley from the Col Agnel
Once I made the turn off to the Col d’Izoard, only 14.5 km of climbing was between me and the hotel. I was still feeling okay till the village of Brunissard. Here the accumulated fatigue, cold wind, and steeper grades started to take their toll. It was quite a struggle through the hairpins and pine forest to the Casse Deserte, where the road descended briefly through the barren screen and dramatic outcrops. Then all that remained was the last 2 km before arriving at the windswept col. Here I was quick to get the photos taken and jacket out of the jersey pocket and onto the descent into Briancon as it registered only 11 degrees at the top!
Looking back down the southern valley approach to the Col d'Izoard with Brunissard in the foreground
Casse Deserte with the Col d'Izoard behind
The top section was extremely technical and a few cars were overtaken till the road opened out and eased in gradient. I was very happy to make it back to town as the threatening rain held off and after some time and effort got some feeling back in my hands.
Looking south from the Col d'Izoard
I spent my second night dinning out at the Casino restaurant just a couple of doors down. I’ve now had two different okay pasta dishes and as they expect you to gamble afterwards are reasonably priced.
Ride details:
Distance 137.16km
3952m elevation


No comments:
Post a Comment