Thursday, September 8, 2011

Col d’Izoard from Briancon and Col de Montgenevre 6th September


I had originally planned to ride over the Col de Montgenevre and continue onto the Italian ski resort Sestriere and return the same way. But as I had already enjoyed the novelty of riding to another country last week and as Sestriere is just another ski resort town a rethink was in order.
The obvious climb still to do in the area was up the Col d’Izoard from Briancon. Whilst descending yesterday, I thought to myself it would be a good climb so this became my first objective. I already knew the way, so it was only a matter of pointing my bike in the right direction after a late breakfast and start pedalling!
The road on the north ascent rises in stages. The first third ascends through dry open forest with a flat section and even some downhill.

The middle third is through open pastures and small villages.

The top third is the business and winds its way steeply through pine forest, till it peaks above the tree line in the final kilometres to offer a clear view of the col.
Looking back from the top third

Last hairpins and Refuge Napoleon

The morning was warm but with a cool breeze blowing, fortunately nothing like the strong cold wind less than 24 hours before. I found a good rhythm and really enjoyed the climb, passing quite a few riders finding the climb a little more challenging than I was. Even through the top third it just felt right, as climbing on a bike with some decent fitness should. I checked my Garmin files for the trip so far, and from the 14 days riding I have ridden already 1431km and just shy of 50,000 metres vertical!
Once I reached the top, I turned around to descend almost immediately. I’d been standing on this col just the day before so had already soaked in the scenery and taken the photos I wanted. The descent wasn’t any less fun the second time round, especially as I knew the corners.
Back in Briancon, the day was still young and the legs still fresh enough for one more col. So I took a right turn and started on the road to the Col de Montgenevre. The first kilometre uphill to the old city of Briancon is a steep rise sitting at 10% before moderating considerably. Once beyond the city limits the road wanders up at only a couple of percent with views of the climbing to come. The road is the main pass over into Italy so can carry quite a bit of traffic, but it is wide and isn’t particularly long nor overly steep.
Col de Montgenevre heads up and right from the middle of the picture


The town of Montgenevre is a ski venue in summer and is a cluster of shops and accommodation which would be bustling in winter. Now in summer with the French summer holidays finished it is very quiet. Since the border is close I rolled the short distance down to the Italian town of Claviere which was just as empty.
On the way back to the hotel, I rolled into the UNESCO listed old city with its fortifications and narrow cobbled streets set up high over Briancon. Well worth exploring whilst in town, as long as you look past the souvenir shops.
The rest of the afternoon was spent back at the hotel doing all the mundane tasks whist being on the road such as hand washing. I did have the pleasure of being distracted by the TV for an hour, when Eurosport showed the day’s highlights of the La Vuelta de Espagna.
It’s late and I still hadn’t eaten dinner, so I wandered up to the main street checking out the menus by the door of each restaurant. I ended up settling for a vegetarian pizza at Les Tables, well hidden from the street and was a converted cellar behind the empty outdoor settings. Given I was only one of two customers , the pizza came quickly and was quite delicious. A very thin base with seasonal vegetables such as eggplant and zucchini, plus a little salad and just the right amount of cheese.

Ride details:
Distance 75.78km
2329m elevation





No comments:

Post a Comment