I am on the move again and am heading less than 100 km further south to the town of Barcelonnette. I have two big days planned, with both days heading over 3 cols before travelling further.
The road out of town is the same I took when riding out to Col Agnel, so it was interesting to see it again from behind the wheel of the Peugeot. Once just past Guillestre, I took a new road to the town of Vars and then over the Col de Vars. The southern ascent of this col looked really good even with the last 4 kilometres at 10%. If I pass through this area another time I will definitely include it in the itinerary.
Looking north from the climb to Vars
Small Church just below Col de Vars south side
It was still early when I made the bottom of the pass; therefore I decided to turn left to the Col de Larche instead of right and scope out the last 30km of tomorrows ride. Once I arrived at the col, I performed the U turn my car GPS has been telling me incessantly to take since I ignored it 15 kilometres ago. From the col I enjoyed the flowing curves downhill into town which I’ll enjoy tomorrow.
I found the caravan park I’ll be staying at easily enough; unfortunately the office was closed till 4 pm! So I drove into the local supermarket to get supplies for the next three days. Then to find somewhere to spend the next 3 ½ hours where I could relax, eat lunch, and spend time with the netbook writing updates. The destination chosen was to Pra Loup, a ski resort which is 7 km out of town.
Barcelonnette from Pra Loup
When the time finally arrived, I drove the short distance back down and checked in. I was then guided to my home for the three nights, an old caravan with annex. It will do for the three nights as it has all I need other than the musty smell. Though what is a worry, as I write this after a couple of hours here under the annex I am becoming accustomed to it…
Home sweet home
No comments:
Post a Comment