Thursday, September 22, 2011

Presles and the Gorge du Nan 14th September

 I woke to low clouds and wet roads; it had rained overnight and looked like more rain may still fall. As it was my last riding day in France, I was to go out regardless once I had breakfast and fitted my new seat.
Gorges de la Bourne
 

I donned my rain jacket and rolled down the now familiar Gorges de la Bourne. By the time I reached the turn off to the village Presles, the sun was out and I was kicking myself that I didn’t put on any sunscreen! The climb to the plateau and Presles was along a very narrow winding road with very steep pasture either side. Then towards the top it was flanked by the large limestone cliffs of the climbing area known by the same name as the village I was headed for and travelled through a couple of short tunnels cut into the cliff.
Road to Presles





Now up on the plateau I was in the clouds and mist again. Once at Presles, it was only a short distance to the equally small village of Le Fas and the start of the descent back down off the western escarpment to Izeron. As the roads were wet and quite technical I took it very easy, but was still soon enough at the bottom and riding the short distance to the start of the next climb up the scenic Gorges du Nan.
Gorges du Nan



The climb first made its way up through dense forest, till enough height was gained for the road to traverse high up on the left side of the gorge with great views in both directions. By the time I’d made the head of the valley it was back into the mist and as I was headed for the highest col in the area I still had some climbing to do. With limited visibility; all I could do was focus on my breathing and cadence and soon enough I’d reached the Col du Mont Noir 1421m. It was with a touch of sadness I commenced the descent to the hotel, as this pass signified the last col for this trip to France.
Into the mist

Other than losing my rear light to the rough descent, it passed without incident and I was back at the hotel..After lunch I started packing the bike and my bags for the flight to Malta in the morning.
Ride details:
Distance 68.37km
4528m elevation





No comments:

Post a Comment