On leaving Lone Pine CA, the first stretch led us through Death Valley and the lowest
elevation we would see for the trip 200 feet under sea level.
It will
also hopefully be the hottest; registering 114 Fahrenheit (45.6 Celsius)
on the dash thermometer and felt it on the few times I quickly got out
for photos!
There was a 200 feet below sign, but I wasn't going back to take the photo.
Once out of Death Valley, I continued
Southeast, through Las Vegas and onto the Interstate heading East.
Here
on the I70 I did get a little melancholy, as the Interstate cuts
straight through Virgin River Gorge, the location of a cliff I spent a
couple of weeks at during a 6 month US road trip back in 1995 climbing.
For those who don't know, rock climbing was my life back in the 90's.
Not just a hobby either, that is what I was. Chronic injuries forced me
to move on and find substitutes like cycling, but it still is my first
love...
Some favourable music located on the vans
satellite radio and previously untraveled countryside past St George got
me back in the groove and focused on the next coming days riding.
After
8 1/2 hours driving I make it to Salina in Utah, I fill up the tank and
decide this is a good location to call it a day and spend the night in
the van.
Glad I slept here, as I enjoyed riding the last 3 hours through the amazing scenery that the road traversed to Grand Junction. Very spectacular!
Makes me want to join you for a leg or two. Well done - great determination! Josie.
ReplyDeleteAre there any TTs held in Death Valley? Looks like a nice stretch of road! :)
ReplyDelete