My eyes were glued to the various
weather channels late into the night and again first thing in the
morning. It was still raining in Idaho Springs, but one channels
forecast for the day was showing the showers scattering from 9am;
this was the forecast I was banking on!
It had stopped raining when I
finally left the hotel just prior to 9am and drove closer to the
climbs start to get ready. Some roads here in town were closed with
workers clearing gravel and rocks washed across the road from the
last 24 hours of rain. So even if the rain stopped, there still may
be a chance the road will be blocked. I decided I'd try and go as
high as I can and if I have to turn around I've at least tried.
The lower half of the road from Idaho
Springs to Mt Evans mostly followed a narrow valley, with a creek and
road swapping sides.
The creek was still well in flood with a huge
amount of water overflowing its banks. From various side tracks,water
was rushing across the road and also covering it with gravel. I made
my way carefully upwards as the sun even started to make an
appearance. It looked like the forecast may indeed be right!
There was a steady stream of traffic
coming downhill; one motorist slowed and asked my if the road was
open to Idaho Springs. Fortunately the blockage she was coming from
was above the turnoff at Echo lake which I reached soon after and
marked the halfway point.
Just as I turned onto Mt Evans road, there
was a huge grader coming down on my side of the road. I stopped and
spoke with the driver; he told me he had just cleared a blockage to
let cars down from Summit Lake and was about to lock the lower gate
we were adjacent to. He warned that I would be on my own from here so
to be wary!
It was a little eerie but also a unique
experience having the mountain to myself. I always knew the road
above Summit lake would be closed to cars (closes Labor Day weekend in
September) but not all the way from Echo Lake.
As I started to clear the tree line,
the Marmots would dart across the road and under rocks. Their warning
shrieks the only sound other than my laboured breathing. Given the
road was never steep, I was still feeling okay as I approached Summit
Lake which marked the last 8km push to the elusive summit.
Just before the gate a Rangers car
passed me and stopped. I was worried that I had come so close and I
may not be able to complete my ascent! He was looking for a herd of
Mountain Goats and had no qualms with me continuing. So I rode to the gate and carefully
ducked underneath.
The weather still holding,
though the summit was shrouded with cloud meaning I couldn't see far
ahead and where the finish was. All I could do was focus on my
breathing and pedaling and count down the distance remaining.
After 44 km of climbing, I finally
turned the last hairpin and made the summit car park; I'd made it!
The highest paved road in the North America at 4,315 metres.
It was freezing, with some remnants of
last nights snow still clinging in a few crevices. I took quite a few
photos and then started my descent. The road wasn't in great
condition, but knowing there was only the rangers car below meant I
could take the best line.
The rest of the descent was enjoyable,
especially once I started to get lower and and the air warmed. It
was a huge relief to have been able to ride Mt Evans after yesterdays
flooding across much of the area. One of the prize climbs I had
thought I may not be able to ride.
Even Colorado Springs at the base of
Pikes Peak hadn't escaped the heavy rains and there were quite a few
road closures and detours when I made my way to friends who live just
above the city. Here I was able to spend an enjoyable evening with a
view of Pikes Peak from their living room window! Even from here at
over 8,000 feet, the mountain dwarfed all that surrounded it.
Pikes Peak would be my last Colorado
ascent in the morning. It is also over 14,000 feet and only 14 metres lower than Mt Evans, but although a fraction lower has a nasty reputation due to the
steepness at altitude! At least the forecast was still improving.
Ride details: distance 90.5km Maximum elevation 4315m
2054m elevation


No comments:
Post a Comment