Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Grand Mesa Nth and Sth 8th September

After a restful afternoon and evening on arriving in Colorado, today was to be the first of six days riding in the Mountain state.
First cab off the rank would be both sides of the Grand Mesa -the largest flat topped mountain in the world. Neither ascent is particularly steep, what would be the challenge is the length combined - a grand total of 65km of uphill ascent and topping out at 10,850 feet.
Fortunately the steepest section would be at the bottom of the first climb, so I was just a matter of going through the motions, or so I hoped.
Town of Mesa
It was a relatively short and very scenic drive to the very small town of Mesa from Grand Junction. Mesa was actually 3km into the climb and above the steepest section. So once changed and ready, I descended first minus the second bidon and nutrition to the start. Then on returning to the van, I quickly loaded up and continued on my way. 
Down low
  
The road continued through mostly farmland and some scrub till it reached the small ski resort of Powderhorn. Here we finally entered the first Aspen groves. Frequently great views down to the valley below and hills in the distance were on offer which helped pass the time. 



Again the average gradient for the whole 34km northern ascent was only 5%, so it was just a matter of ticking the legs over and the remaining kilometers down. Once on the Mesa itself the road eased even more in angle as it traveled through pines forests, grassland and numerous lakes; with many people trying their luck with a line in the water either from the shore or in boats.  
The high point was reached though the sign was just a little down the road from the highest point - very odd. After a quick photo I started down to the town of Cedaredge. 


It was quite open scenery, so it wasn't long before much of the descent and town of Cedaredge were visible in the distance.


It was a flowing descent and good, wide surface; a real pleasure to cruise down. Soon enough I arrived at my turnaround point. Other than a supermarket, I was struggling to find somewhere to fill my water bottles and perhaps get a bite to eat. Then a modern looking cafe and print gallery called the Apple Shed caught my eye due to the sign out front saying Espresso! Could it be possible to get a good cup of coffee now in the States? I went in and ordered a short black - unfortunately missed watching the young lass make it as she offered to fill my bidons inside so I went out to get them. Don't think the following is an espresso - definitely didn't taste like one...
 At least I had water again. Ascent number two was now in full sun as it wove initially through low Oaks and then back into the Aspens. I knew what to expect on the shorter and less step side (31km @ 4.4%) as I'd just come down it. The heat fortunately wasn't unbearable, so once again it was just a matter of plugging away. 

 
 

Towards the top I did start to feel the accumulated effects of the altitude and the kilometers climbed. It was a struggle to keep the tempo up over the last few kilometers to the top. Thankfully it came soon enough.
I didn't stop at the elevation sign a second time, instead stopped a little further down for some vista shots an then to don the waterproof as it started to rain. Not too heavy nor too long, just enough to make it chilly. Once lower and closer to Mesa I was able to remove the jacket as the rain had dispersed and was blissfully warm again.

Next stop was Aspen - 170km away. So car loaded and after some small roads hit the Interstate again. Once through Glenwood springs via a Supermarket for supplies, I continued through the very luxurious Aspen and settled for the night just past town at the Nation Forest run campground. Not quite the same stars as the hotels down the road, but perfect for my needs.
Ride details: Distance 132.93km Max elevation 3033m


3187m elevation




No comments:

Post a Comment