I've organised each day to fit as many of the classics in as possible and my second day in San Francisco would be no exception. The first two climbs were to be ridden as the one loop from the start of the Mt Hamilton road in San Jose. The third climb Mt Diablo would require me to drive up I680 to Walnut creek.
Unfortunately whilst loading the car I discovered the rear tyre was completely flat! There was a symbol showing on the dash the night before about an
issue, but as all the tyres passed my kick test I thought no more of it... By the time I fitted the space saver tyre, organised a replacement vehicle and then make the swap; it was around 11:30am and too late to also drive the hour North to also ride Mt Diablo.
Sierra road and Mt Hamilton are complete opposites; Sierra road is a short steep wall, Mt Hamilton more moderate but much longer climb. Both were going to be tough in the now afternoon sun.
It was only a short ride across to Sierra road (5.63km 9.8%) through the upper edge of San Jose suburbia in which to warm up the legs for the climb.
Sierra road definitely deserves its reputation. There was less than a few hundred metres before it hit with a vengeance; fronting a double digit grade as it headed straight up the hill!
Sierra road begins
Steep!
Soon enough the road started to weave up the exposed hill, though without much drop in gradient. The few bits of shade were a godsend on the otherwise barren hillside.
I was feeling okay so kept the tempo as high as possible; still glad it didn't go for longer! From the top, San Francisco could be seen to the north, and my next destination Mt Hamilton to the south.
Looking back down from the top Sierra road
I wasn't immediately heading back though and continued the ride though the rolling hills behind to loop down via Calavaras road. From here Piedmont road traversed back across to the car and climb number two.
Top up water and reapply sunscreen then it was straight onto the Mt Hamilton climb (29.8km 3.8%). This was a far more pleasant affair, traversing up the once again open hillside with constant views of San Jose. The city views continued till we crossed a saddle and down the first of the two descents on the way up.
Bottom section of Mt Hamilton road
I discovered quickly that these need to be taken very carefully, as gravel was on the apex of many corners! Therefore I continued onwards more cautiously and at the bottom of the second descent started the final 10.3km 6% ascent. Here the road wandered up through open woodland, unfortunately not offering as much shade as I wanted and suffered in the heat.
Summit in the distance
Curves higher up
The summit cruelly taunted, the prominent Lick Astronomical observatory on top is visible from many vantage points.
Lick Observatory
Once I arrived I rested a bit in the shade of the observatory and made good use of the water cooler and drink vending machine. Whilst sitting there though I started to wonder if this truly is the high point or the tower a little further east, as I didn't see any clear sign that this was the summit. I remounted and continued further, but there was no clear access to the other tower and the road started descending. Once I realized the observatory was the highpoint, a quick U-turn was performed. I still had those short descents on the climb to get back over which would be more than enough today.
Summit view
The decent was uneventful as was the drive back to Sunnyvale. Legs sore but still managing okay; knees which were hurting in the last week are fortunately feeling fine!
Ride details:
Total: distance 98.27km 2246 elevation
Sierra road loop: distance 35.04km
703m elevation
Mt Hamilton: distance 63.23km
1543m elevation






No comments:
Post a Comment