The guide I have been using suggested the climb started at the entrance to the camp site, but it seemed only fitting to begin my ascent in the town of Aspen. Therefore a quick descent into town was in order before I turned the bike around amongst the designer label shops and made my way uphill. 5.7km later I was where I began and onto the climb proper.
The road followed a beautiful valley, often with the stream within sight as well as within earshot.
After another 6km of climbing was the first of two one lane wide sections as the road was cut from the steep cliff. On the bike it was easy to negotiate and was soon behind me.
The climb was never too steep, which is good as we had started the ride at just under 8,000 feet; already 210 metres higher than our own Mt Kozciusko!
There were no elevation signs by the road. It was only when I passed the site of the ghost town the pass got its current name I saw my current elevation. A sign listed the towns elevation as 10,830 feet, so I knew I was within metres of my highest altitude gained on yesterday's ride. As the final section of road to the pass became visible across the valley, the light drizzle I'd experienced the last couple of kilometers became solid rain. No concerns about it being too hot today!
Once at the top, a few quick photos; I decided as the rain hadn't also brought the lightning I would continue down the Eastern side of the pass towards Leadville. After the steeper and more technical section was negotiated, the road took a far straighter and less steep line to the very small town of Twin Lakes.
Rather than turn around immediately, I decided to enjoy the sun down in the valley and continued down till the bottom end of the large lakes the town is named after.
Once I turned, it was again a matter of just riding along the gradually ascending road back towards the pass. From this side, the climb is very mild till around 7km to go. Here the road reverted back to a mountain climb with prerequisite hairpins. The extra kilometers at Twin Lakes was a hidden blessing, as the road was wet but I'd just missed the rain.
At the top, a few drops were felt, but I was able to continue on downwards to the van parked near to Aspen without another soaking.
24km later I was down and packed the van for the short drive back over the pass to my next overnight stop - Leadville.
Ride details: distance 139.96km Max elevation 3694m
2512m elevation


No comments:
Post a Comment