Mosquito Flat's claim to fame of being the highest paved road in California - at 10250 feet, is just nudging over 3000m by 124 metres.
The forecast was for possible thunderstorms, though when I looked out the hotel door in the already warm morning it didn't seem possible. Still I decided to err on the side of caution and took the waterproof jacket. Too risky to be an a mountain environment and not be prepared!
The climb to Mosquito Flat from Bishop is a climb in two parts.The first part is Lower Rock Creek road which takes in Sherwin grade which was the old highway 395. It then drops down first to Lower Rock Creek before continuing up to Tom's Place. Second part is then Rock Creek Road to its end at Mosquito Flat.
To ride out to the start of Lower Rock Creek, it was possible to take a number of smaller roads through the sage bushes and irrigated farms. Avoiding the highway made for a much more pleasant start to the day.
After 26km I was finally onto Lower Rock Creek road. The climbing started gradually before it started in earnest at the small cluster of houses nestled just above the creek where the climb proper began.
Thankfully it was overcast, as there was no shade on the climb. At Sherwin summit, the road dropped down to the creek which it follow much of the way till we reached the highway. This 1 1/2 km section was the only part of the ride which shared the 395.
We made the turn of the highway at Tom's place and was now onto Rock Creek road. This last 14.7km @ 5.8% stretch is now all between me and Mosquito Flat. Down low the valley was quite narrow and the road took a steep line next to it. Soon enough the valley opened a little and allowed the road to continue at a more manageable grade.
Up in the long valley, it was now much cooler and quite nice riding to Rock Creek Lake towards the top. From here to the end, the road narrowed to a single lane and once again kept close to the creek.
The end point is a popular car park for hikers exploring further into the wilderness, but otherwise seems an arbitrary place to stop the road.
Shortly after arriving it started to drizzle and then rain. So gladly I put on the jacket and started to make my way down as quick as possible. There was a noticeable temperature drop and with that the rain changed to sleet! I was freezing by the time I arrived at Tom's Place, so I stopped here and sat in the sun to thaw out after buying water and a coke.
The ride down Sherwin grade was enjoyable but not as amazing as was suggested in a couple of posts I had read whilst planning the trip. The final stretch back to Bishop fine too, but I was now thinking about food rather than the riding.
It was still hot back in the valley and I was glad it was after the sleet only a short time earlier. Later in the day it was still warm, but the rain had even made its way to town. I was hoping this would be short lived, as I had more rides to come.
Ride details:
Distance 131.42 km
2351m elevation


No comments:
Post a Comment